Goto: http://www.chem4kids.com/files/matter_intro.html to answer the following questions.
1. What is “matter?”
2. (a) How many states of matter of scientists identified? ________
3. What are states also known as?_________________
4. Substances can change phases when a physical force is present. An example of a physical
5. (a) The addition of energy can involve __________________________________________.
6. A compound can move from phase to phase but is still ______________________________.
7. Whether water exists as a vapour (as in steam) or liquid water or ice it is still ____________.
8. The harder a solid is the tighter its molecules are ____________________.
9. Powders are solids because you will tiny pieces of that solid _________________________.
10. Solids “like” their ______________.
11. Atoms inside a solid are not allowed ________________________.
12. One characteristic of liquids is that it will fill up the shape of ____________________.
13. Liquids fill the bottom first because of __________________________.
14. Another trait of liquids is that they are difficult to ___________________ (force it into a smaller space).
15. Liquids have ________________ (sticky) forces that ____________________________
16. Gases are ________________ groups of atoms or molecules.
17. Gases _____ any container (of any size or shape); liquids only fill _____________________.
18. Vapor is used when the gas is usually found ________________________.
19. Gases hold huge amounts of __________________.
20. When compared to liquids and solids gases can be ______________________.